Interview with Ex trainee cadet-Ankit Das (INTERVIEW)
| Profile photo- Ankit Das |
An Interview
Q. Please introduce yourself from your early life to achieving your dream.
A- Hello readers I am Ankit Das from Bhubaneswar. In short, I cannot brag about myself but yes talking about my early life, I was a healthy, studious, and not so game-loving student of Sainik School Bhubaneswar. My school was completely residential but I was a day-boarder. I had fun in school with my batchmates on numerous days but came back home after school time.
But I was really good at things which I did and those mostly included academics and study areas. Simultaneously I also read about defense-orientated news and Information. Being a cadet of Sainik School, I always had an interaction with various defense personnel and many Special Force officers which made me work out more towards an aim calling me for defense forces. So I started taking my NDA classes seriously and prepared myself for the written exam. At last, my studious habit paid off. It helped me qualify for 03 NDA/NA UPSC exams 03 times consecutively. The final output flew me to step into my dreamland, INDIAN NAVAL ACADEMY.
Q. How and when did you decide to serve your career in the Indian Navy?
A- I was in my 6th standard when I joined Sainik School Bhubaneswar. We were motivated for the purpose of the school, which is to make any cadet feasible and motivated to join the defense forces. So likewise I started gaining interest in defense forces. But in standard 9th, our school welcome RADM K S Noor, as principal of Sainik School Bhubaneswar. He was a Naval Officer & really an influencing one. His outfits, motivational talks & behavior really made me tend towards the Naval Wings of the defense forces & hence my aim was purposed from defense forces to join INDIAN NAVY.
| Sainik School Bhubaneswar |
Q. What motivated you the most and all other motivation for your dreamland?
A- My motivation started from my father & kept increasing after I joined Sainik School. My major source of motivation to serve INDIAN NAVY is my then principal VADM KS NOOR.
A- Being a cadet, your life isn't meant to be smooth and easy. But we were trained and nurtured to take things swiftly & make the hardest times pass easily. We can easily blend ourselves with the hardest times and come out with a colorful result.
No doubt I have faced a few many tough times in my life as well as in my academy tenure. The toughest time which I faced in Academy was the moment of a medical problem. My left shoulder was operated on for the tendon tear during the training period. This injury subsequently resulted in getting me to step out of my dreamland & my dream profession.
It was the worst time I ever had till now, but with the tough time, you get good lessons. So I did learn a lot of things within this period about how to survive in the toughest situations & be happy in the worst times of life.
So now I'm a happy person in any serious times, and handle situations easily. Though I stress out at times then these golden moments of my life make me easily go through them.
| Entrance gate Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimal Kerala |
Q. Finally how did you feel when you stepped inside the campus?
A- I went a day earlier to my reporting day at the academy & was really excited about the time of finally stepping into my dreamland. I remained outside the campus in a hotel with my father for a day. The very next day on my reporting day I booked a cab to INA & there it was a huge & marvelous gate with INDIAN NAVAL ACADEMY written on it. I felt a relief in my heart of finally making it into my dreamland. Everything inside gave sight to behold for the rest of my life.
Q. Please let my readers know what is life inside the campus? We have seen the documentary by Nat Geo but you can make us understand better.
A- Yes I will highly suggest the readers see the documentary of NatGeo that was made on the INDIAN NAVAL ACADEMY once. Because that documentary really shows how beautiful our academy is. It also shows the hardship that all the cadets go through during their training period, all the activities they do. But the clippings shown are all for the official purposes of INA.
Our day starts in the morning at 0500 hours until late at night at 2230 hours. It goes on with a hectic schedule of heavy work activities, all forms of physical and mental training. All these are a must for officers on their battlefield if they ever land. On a normal day, our routine starts at 0500 hours. From 0530 hours till 0830 hours we have our morning outdoor activities, outdoor training. In which the activities included are swimming, physical training, or cross country run.
After that, we come back to our squadrons and freshen up for breakfast which has a schedule of 0845hours till 0930 hours. Then we move out for our academic period through the lanes. Our academic period is from 0950 hours till 1400 hours. Then we get 30 minutes for our lunch, after which we go back to our squadrons.
At 1500 hours we have the squad muster and everyone prepares themself for either game, PET, swimming again for outer activities. but this time the outer activities are done by the squadron seniors. It includes cross-country running, swimming, physical training, and all the stuff like these. The activities are decided by our squadron seniors. After the outer training, we come back for our evening squadron muster.
We have motivational talks by our seniors. This is followed by the evening muster at the mess. This is the place where the whole academy gets mustered and our attendance is taken. Then we move into the mess for our dinner. The routine does not end here we come back for our self-study period which is for 2 hours. This completes our 1-day routine. The time we get after this is fully ours we can do whatever we want at night.
The most important thing that I think of insight of the academy that people don't know is the brotherhood we share. The bond of brotherhood with our course-mates our seniors. This bond that we share during our night reporting and every similar sort of thing are very memorable. They are always with us starting from our morning drills to late at night and till the end of our life.
Q. How did your family and social circle helped, motivate you?
A- My family was really the pillar of my dreams to stand upon, they guided me & helped me in fulfilling my dream.
I remember one incident-
It happened once during the conference day of my first SSB(Service Selection Board) at Bangalore. I came to know that I was boarded out. That day was the day when I saw my dreams shatter into pieces in front of my eyes. By the time I was just in 12th class, not so mature. I was so broken that I called home but to my fate, no one picked up the call.
I was sitting in front of the SSB gate with a blank mind, highly disappointed, and broken soul. The situation tore me apart. A while later my father called me up, and the moment I picked the call, I start crying and said, "Bapa, sorry I couldn't make it through". The very next moment I heard my father also breaking down and telling me "whatever has happened it's fine & we are proud of you, just come back home safely, I want my son to get back home safely."
| Ankit Das with family |
I suddenly stopped crying and consoling my father. I tried and made it a little fun to make him relaxed. I finally cut the call by with a promise of coming back home safely. That time I decided never to break down and never let my parents shed tears.
Then till my 3rd SSB, I was supported by many of my friends and especially by my family. Lastly, I was recommended for INA. So a hell of a lot of motivation and dedication made me fight for it over again and again.
| Morning drill inside the campus |
Comments
Post a Comment